The broader objective of Medicopress is to bridge the gap; through empowering journalists to cover in-depth medical stories through data journalism and strong analyses.
- To engage medical scientists with the media and the general public in Tanzania.
- To run a successful Medical Journalism Labs that will help to train and encourage local journalists to report medical stories more accurately and analytically, and with a solution to the problems reported in mind. Medicopress promotes “Solutions Journalism” in Tanzania.
- To promote specialized online reporting in medical science and general health through medical data journalism, medical photography and social media.
- To provide the country’s public with suitable information solutions on general health issues.
- Providing public health education in the simplest form possible to the public in Tanzania; in Kiswahili through digital platforms.
- Advocating the inclusion of a Medical Journalism course in the teaching curriculum of local journalism schools and developing medical journalism manuals that suit the context of the practice of journalism in Tanzania.
- Embracing and creating more awareness to the public in Tanzania about various Information Technology (IT) solutions to health problems, through collaboration with innovators.
- Addressing the growing trend of Non Communicable Diseases (NCDs) through media and creating media solutions to the public health challenge by partnering with stakeholders.
- Working hand in hand with Civil Society Organizations (CSOs) that deal with health in Tanzania.
Medicopress is based in Dar es Salaam. The company encompasses a group of committed journalists and health scientists who are supported by a network of editorial advisors based in Tanzania.
The journalists from Medicopress have a proven track record in developmental journalism—especially in healthcare reporting.
The editorial advisers are drawn from diverse backgrounds, including journalism and health science.
- Public health Education through cartoons and short messages online
- Specialized medical photography
- Partnering with Research Institutions on how to raise the profile of health scientists
- Dealing with Non-Communicable Diseases by working with nutritionists around the country to try and educate the public on how to cut down weight and lead a healthy life.
- Organizing a continuous program on training and encouraging journalists to specialize on medical/health reporting.
- Preparing tools that will assist journalists who write health stories, such as creating a database for health information, developing data kits, medico dictionary (Kamusi tabibu).
- Building a database of source—scientists willing to be interviewed by the media, and creating a database of all medical information in the country.
- Creating a platform for the public to voice their concerns to the government and stakeholders—even public appeals for assistance—for people with complex health challenges.
- Rare health conditions existing in Tanzania as discovered by local scientists.
- Affiliating with all website portals dealing with public health in Tanzania and globally.