MedicoPRESS, an organization that works with journalists and medical researchers to promote medical journalism and health research in Tanzania, East Africa and beyond, values your privacy and is committed to protecting it. We are a not-for-profit media company dealing with medical communication and journalism, registered under the company laws of the United Republic of Tanzania.
‘Personal Information’ in this regard, is the information or an opinion about an individual who is reasonably identifiable (including their names, addresses, gender, birth dates, or email addresses).
How we collect your personal information
We collect your personal information directly from you. The type of information we collect varies with the circumstances in which the information is collected. For instance, when you create an account for, or publish an article or comment on www.medicopress.media, the information collected may include:
- information required to create an account
- login details including email address or, if you log in using an existing social media account (such as Facebook, Twitter, Google+, or LinkedIn), limited information about that account;
- optional information:
- job title;
- for contributors, other contact details including phone number;
- information that you may include in your account profile, for example, profile pictures, contact details, professional history, expertise or interests; and
- Comments that you may make on articles published by Medico PRESS.
We also may collect your personal information from third parties. For example, if you create an account for MedicoPRESS using a social media account, we may collect personal information, including your name and email address, from your social media account
We also collect website analytics – anonymised statistics about how people use MedicoPRESS. These statistics help us to understand how and by whom the Medico PRESS website is used.
Why we collect, use and disclose your personal information
Whenever we want to use your personal information, we will endeavor to inform you why we are collecting it, how we intend to use it, and to whom we intend to disclose it at the time we collect it from you.
So, we may use or disclose your personal information for:
- the purposes for which we collected it
- for other purposes to which you have consented; and
- as otherwise permitted or required under Tanzanian laws.
We may collect your personal information for specific purposes, such as:
- to sign you up as a contributor or create your profile on Medico PRESS;
- to allow you to comment on articles published by MedicoPRESS;
- to allow other media outlets to republish and attribute articles that you may have written;
- if you have requested notifications, to deliver email notifications to you;
- to allow you to participate in surveys or provide feedback to MedicoPRESS.
Cookies and Other User Technologies
Security of your personal information
We store your personal information on computer databases and/or in hard copy and will take reasonable physical and electronic security measures to protect any records that we hold which contain[s] your information. We destroy or permanently de-identify the information in a secure manner when we no longer need it. We do not store bank details or credit card information. We are committed to keeping your information as secure as possible. We will use all reasonable precautions to protect it from loss, misuse or unauthorized access or alteration.
We take the duty of maintaining the accuracy of your personal information. You have the right to ask us to correct any personal information attributed to you. Always feel free to contact us in case you are aware of any incorrect information or to notify us of any change in your personal information, through our email.
How we handle complaints, queries